Friday, June 27, 2008

Icky if Interesting Way to Track Drug Use

So, LA will now track drug use using tests on raw sewage. I find this fascinating, it reminds me of a quote from Cradle to Cradle: "Waste is Food".

One trend I look for in the path to Sustainability is a devaluation or change of the current conception of waste. To be sustainable I think a society needs to internalize the idea that there is no such thing as the unwanted. This doesn't just apply to physical objects, it applies to ideas, emotions, and people. Tolerance, and understanding are also part of sustainability. One major obstacle in the path to sustainability is rich world's attitude towards technology. I'm not a Luddite, in fact I'm pretty pro-technology in general, but I think we need figure out a way to make "old" not equal "bad".

No comments: